Campus scene

Badger Spotlight

(photo) Allison Smith

“Living in the Transfer House is an amazing experience!”

— Allison Smith

Transfer Fact

Nearly one quarter of UW’s new undergraduate students are transfer students.

Newly Admitted Students

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison! We offer advising and support to help you prepare for your transfer to UW-Madison as much as possible. This page outlines important steps to making a smooth transition.

Review your Transfer Credit Evaluation

The Office of Admissions posts your official transfer credit evaluation in your Student Center soon after you’ve been admitted to the university. This tutorial video will help you understand how your credit has transferred and what all the codes on your evaluation mean. We encourage you to review it before you attend an orientation session, as it will prepare you to identify first-semester courses that will help you progress towards a degree.


Attend Orientation

Your next step is to register to attend orientation, or Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR). You will attend a SOAR session specifically for new transfer students. At SOAR, you will:

  • meet with academic advisors and discuss your transfer credit evaluation and intended degree path
  • select and enroll in your first semester’s courses
  • learn about campus resources

Sign up for your SOAR session by visiting the SOAR website.

Find a Place to Live

Next, we encourage you to start thinking about living arrangements. Transfer students choose to live on or off campus depending on their personal needs and preferences.

University Housing

Living in University Housing is one of the best ways to become integrated into UW–Madison and to build community. Living on campus makes it easier to establish social connections and get involved with university life. There is even a Transfer House in one of the residence halls, giving you the opportunity to live with other students who are new to UW–Madison, but who aren’t new to college.

Campus Area Housing

For many transfer students, living in one of the residential campus or Downtown Madison neighborhoods may be a good fit. There are many rental options available to the campus community.

The UW-Madison Campus Area Housing (CAH) office maintains an informative website that aids all campus community members in navigating off-campus living. Our mobile-friendly site provides an easy search of rental vacancies, roommate openings and sublets in apartment buildings, houses, co-operatives, boarding/rooming houses and private homes. Users may select their criteria to generate a list of available rentals, complete with rental details and contact information. The CAH website also hosts a Resources page which includes an informative Rental Resource Guide, frequently asked questions, information on area transportation and long-term parking arrangements, safety tips and resources for living off campus, and tenant rights & responsibilities.

A comfortable living arrangement is an important part of academic success. Campus Area Housing has knowledgeable staff who are happy to work with transfer students one-on-one to find an enjoyable place to live.

Finance Your Education

It is never too early to plan for how you will pay for your education. It’s important to research the cost of attendance at UW–Madison, but also important to know that there are many forms of financial assistance to help make this valuable and marketable education affordable for you and your family. Use the information below to help prepare for your financial transition to UW–Madison.

Financial Aid

As a transfer student, it’s important to know that financial aid does not transfer with you. To become eligible for financial aid at UW–Madison, follow these steps:

Step 1:

Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you haven't already done so, or update your current FAFSA to ensure that UW–Madison is listed as one of the Federal School Codes on your application. UW–Madison’s school code is 003895.

When UW–Madison receives your FAFSA they will contact you if additional forms, such as tax returns, are needed. Do not submit any forms other than the FAFSA unless requested.

Step 2:

Investigate scholarship opportunities at UW–Madison.

Step 3:

Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for more information.

Student Employment

Working on campus not only helps you fund your education, it also provides opportunities for enhancing your professional development and making connections to students and staff at UW–Madison. Explore the Student Job Center for job postings both on and near campus.


Transfer Involvement 101 – Friday, January 13

Transfer Welcome Dinner - Monday, January 23


Questions about transferring:




Contact us:

Transfer Transition Program
Center for the First-Year Experience
101 Ingraham Hall
1155 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706


Join the conversation:

Meet your Transfer Ambassador.

Get to know us




The Transfer Transition Program is coordinated by the Center for the First-Year Experience